We have taken time and care in creating a library of information aimed at helping you with any questions or queries you may have about Gorsey Clough Nursing Home and caring for people suffering from Dementia, Alzheimer’s and other age related illnesses.

Please follow the links to the left, and if you have any enquries or questions please feel free to contact us on 01204 882976 or by emailling


Where do I start?

  1. Research the care available in your area.
  2. Create a shortlist of homes you wish to visit
  3. Have a list of questions ready to ask on your visit
  4. Speak to residents, their families and staff about the Home.
  5. Ask to see the home’s latest Inspection Report. These are independent reports that are produced by the authorities that are responsible for regulating care homes.
  6. Find out whether or not there is a waiting list
  7. Work out what your funding situation will be. The Home Manager will be able to advise you on this.
  8. Contact Social Services if the Home Manager believes you may get assistance with funding.
  9. If you are going to be self-funding, contact your chosen home when you are ready to become a resident.

For more information, please look at Thinking About Moving Into a Care Home? a publication giving general information about moving into care homes.

Who can I talk to?

Your family doctor (GP), local Citizens Advice Bureau, solicitor or even your pharmacist.

Your local Social Services department will provide you with a list of registered care homes in the local area.

Independent Age have a helpline (0800 319 6789) and the Relatives’ and Residents’ Association offer advice and support (0207 359 8136). Age UK also has a helpline giving free advice (0800 169 6565).

… about funding?

Your Local Authority is able to answer your questions about funding. You may also wish to contact an independent financial adviser who specialises in care planning.

Who will pay the fees?

Funding is based on individual circumstances. In the first instance, you will need to establish whether you are entitled to any contribution towards care home costs from your local authority or the NHS.

A local authority is obliged to carry out a financial assessment where they are arranging or providing a place for you or a loved one in a care home. They will assess your personal finances to work out whether you should make a contribution towards the costs of your care and accommodation.

A local authority will contribute to the cost of care if an individual’s assets (their savings and the value of their home) are less than £23,250. There is a sliding scale of local authority contribution below this threshold.

The NHS will also contribute to the costs of nursing care if you are assessed as in need of it, regardless of status. This is called the “registered nursing care contribution” (RNCC) and is currently £110.89 per week. This funding will be paid directly to the care home. The costs for accommodation and personal care will still be met by either you or the local authority.

If you have complex nursing or medical needs, you may qualify to have your care fully funded by the NHS under their Continuing Care criteria. You should apply to your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) for this assessment.

The care home I am interested in costs more than the local authority fee rate. Can I still move there?

The local authority will determine the amount they will contribute towards your care. If they decide that a care home charging the local authority fee rate would suit your needs, they may not pay any more. You will need to make up the difference in the form of a regular ‘top up’ payment.

My savings are more than £23,250 and I must pay for care and accommodation myself. What will happen when my savings fall below this threshold?

When your savings fall to £23,250 or under, you may be eligible for help from your local authority.

I have very little savings but I own my house. Will I have to pay for my care home even before I sell my house?

The value of your house is usually disregarded during the first 12 weeks of your stay in a care home. You should contact your local authority for more information.

My wife has dementia and she will be going into a care home but I am staying in our own house. How will the local authority work out what we need to pay?

If one member of a couple is going into a care home and the other is staying in their own house, the local authority will generally disregard the value of the home. An assessment is made on any remaining capital before they decide on the level of contribution.

Who is responsible for regulating care homes?

Homes in England are registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission.

Inspection reports of homes are available from the relevant authority. They can also be downloaded from the Care Quality Commission website. Please click here to view Gorsey Clough’s recent inspection reports.

What is the difference between a residential care home and a care home with nursing?

Residential care homes are generally referred to as care homes. Nursing homes are now called care homes with nursing.

A care home is a residential setting where a number of older people live, and have access to a range of on-site care services. A home registered as a care home will provide personal care only – help with bathing, dressing, laundry and giving medication for example. This level of care allows for independent living, but the support is there if needed.

A care home registered for nursing offers residents the benefit of having qualified nursing care 24 hours a day and may accept people who just have personal care needs but who may need nursing care in the future.

How is nursing care defined?

As care provided, delegated, monitored or supervised by a Registered Nurse.

This does not include the care provided by a Care Assistant, even if that care is ‘delegated or supervised’ by a Registered Nurse at a care home.

Personal care is not defined as nursing care.

What category of home is Gorsey Clough?

Gorsey Clough Nursing Home is a care home registered for nursing. We have facilities suitable for Residents requiring personal care and Residents who need nursing care.

Gorsey Clough also offers specialist EMI (Elderly, Mentally Infirm) care for people with dementia and Alzheimer Disease and ongoing mental health-related problems. All Staff at the Home have ongoing training in EMI-related conditions.

Qualified nursing Staff at Gorsey Clough assist Residents with a variety of nursing needs and we promote independence wherever possible. A number of specialist facilities including bath aids, condition specific beds and full wheelchair access ensure comfort and mobility within the home.

What happens at Admission?

When a referral is made to us by a GP, psychiatrist, social services or relative, we will then undertake a pre-admission assessment. Such an assessment is vital, as it ensures that we can meet all of the needs of the prospective Resident.

Once admitted to Gorsey Clough, consideration is given to the Resident’s medical history. From this information, a Care Plan is devised ensuring a holistic and detailed plan of action to meet all needs. Care Plans are, wherever possible, drawn up with both the Resident and family to ensure that they are included and aware of not only what we are doing, but also why.

All Assessments and Care Plans are evaluated every 28 days to ensure that all care is up to date and that any changes in presentation can be addressed as effectively as possible.

What are the Home’s visiting hours?

There is an open-door policy at the Home and you are welcome to come and visit your relative or friend at any time of the day. However, we would kindly ask that you try and avoid meal times.

Is smoking allowed at the Home?

Smoking is allowed in the Home. However, we kindly request that you only smoke in designated areas.

Can I bring my pet?

Small pets are welcome at the Home.

How do I pay my bill?

We will provide you with all the necessary information to set up a standing order from a bank account. Alternatively, it is acceptable to pay by cash or cheque.

Can I keep my own GP?

You are welcome to keep your own GP but will need to ask them if Gorsey Clough is within an acceptable travelling distance. If not, we will register you with a GP of your choice from one of the practices whose GP’s visit us regularly.

Do I have to get up or go to bed at a certain time?

You can choose when to get up and go to bed.

Am I allowed to have my meals in my room?

Meals can be taken in the comfort of your own room or in the dining area if you wish.

Is there a telephone I can use?

A telephone is available in the Home for Residents to make private calls.

What is included in the fee?

The fee covers single or double private accommodation, full board, 24-hour care and laundry. It does not include the cost of hairdressing, Chiropody, clothing, or other personal items deemed to be of a luxury nature including toiletries. The Office Manager can provide full details and cost of any extra services we offer.

Will I be escorted on hospital visits?

A member of Staff will always accompany Residents on visits to hospital.

If I have a complaint?

We have a rigorous complaints procedure in place – please ask Collette, our Home Manager, for a written copy of the procedure and to clarify any concerns you may have.

If you have any further questions please call 01204 882976

If I have any more questions?

Please do not hesitate to ask us. We are always happy to help!


Below are a series of links to additional websites that may be of particular interest to you.

Age UK

Advice and information on a wide range of issues to make life more enjoyable and fulfilling for older people.

Alzheimer’s Society

Information, support, tips and news for carers and those affected by Alzheimer’s and dementia.

Bolton Council

Bury MBC

Care Aware

A public information and advisory service specialising in the issues relating to long-term care.

Citizens Advice Bureau

A service which helps people to resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free information and advice.

Care Quality Commission

Regulatory body that inspects and reports on care homes and care services and councils to improve social care and stamp out bad practice.


A national charity for people with learning difficulties and their families.


The National Association for Mental Health in the United Kingdom campaigns on behalf of those with mental illness.

NAPA (National Association for Providers of Activities for Older People)

NAPA are a voluntary organisation dedicated to increasing the profile and understanding of the activity needs for older people. 

NHS Choices

NHS Choices provides a comprehensive online health information service that puts you in control of your healthcare. The website helps you make choices about your health, from decisions about your lifestyle, such as smoking, drinking and exercise, to finding and using NHS services in England.

Pick’s Disease Support Group (PDSG)

Support group for carers of frontotemporal dementia: Pick’s Disease, Frontal Lobe Degeneration, Dementia with Lewy Bodies, Corticobasal Degeneration and Alcohol Related Dementia.

Relatives and Residents Association

An organisation bringing together relatives in care homes and hospitals. Can offer support and advice on any matter concerned with residential care.

RNIB (Royal National Institute for the Blind)

National charity providing a good range of information for blind or partially sighhted people.

The Pension Service

Help and advice for pensioners in England and Wales.

Young Dementia in Bury